Dow Chemical Develops Leaders by Sending Them to Work in Unfamiliar Surroundings
Dow Chemical’s mission is “To passionately create innovation for our stakeholders at the intersection of chemistry, biology, and physics.” It intends to do so by maximizing long-term value per share by being the most valuable and respected science company in the world. Its strategy is to invest in a market-driven portfolio of advantaged and technology-enabled businesses that create value for our shareholders and customers.
As Dow Chemical expands its global presence, it needs employees who have the ability to network and develop relationships with local commercial and government leaders. To develop global leaders, Dow had been sending high-potential employees to a week of leadership development classes at its Midland, Michigan, headquarters. After completing the classes, employees spent the next week in one of Dow’s international location such as Shanghai, China; Sao Paulo, Brazil; or Dubai, United Arab Emirates. These locations had Dow regional headquarters with work environments similar to what employees experience at corporate headquarters.
Dow’s global manager for leadership development and its vice president for human resources both recognized that the program had a major weakness. The program was missing a hands-on experience that taught participants how to understand culture context. Exposing participants to problems within different cultural contexts helps get learners to self-reflect and consider how they deal with uncertainty and change. It would also help develop leaders that understood what needed to be done to do business in new cultures. Dow wanted to change the program to create a learning experience that developed leadership skills, as well as developed humility and integrity needed for doing business in new markets.
- What competitive challengesmotivated Dow Chemical to develop theLeadership in Action?
- Do you think the Leadership in Action contributesto Dow Chemicals businessstrategy and goals?Explain.
- How would you determine ifthe Leadership in Action program was effective?What metrics or outcomes would you collect?Why?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Leadership in Action program, compared to more traditional ways of training leaderssuch asformal courses(e.g., an MBAprogram) or giving themmore increased job responsibility?
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS